Piscataquis Country Club|
In May 1926, James H. Hudson and A.S. Eldridge, both golf enthusiasts of Guilford, were seeking a spot on which they could practice their game. The Wharff farm was suggested and after looking over the grounds they concluded that this was an ideal place for a golf course.
In less than an hour Mr. Hudson had raised the money among Guilford business men in which to purchase the property.
The Wharff farm was comprised of 165 acres situated on the North side of the Guilford to Dover-Foxcroft road - about 1 3/4 miles from the Guilford Village.
The farm buildings were remodeled to make a pro shop and club house. A nine hole golf course was developed.
The first slate of officers listed as Hudson as President, John Houston as V.P., Raymond Davis as Treasurer, and Walter Blake as Clerk. The nine holes were completed and play began July 26, 1926. The first golf professional was Donald Lichy of Philadelphia. The first tournament was held there on September 25, 1926 and was organized by D.H. Edes of Guilford and C.H. Ansel of Dexter and Louis Oakes of Greenville. Twenty four entrants played under the handicap system with F.R. Huntington winning low net of 25 and Hudson taking low gross at 47. That evening some 150 people partook of a buffet dinner served by L.J. Webb who was the new owner of the Braeburn Hotel. In the mid thirties Leslie & Bea Marr were the club house managers and Maurice Holbrook was the club pro. There was a lot of activity during this time. The Guilford Register had a column each week of the bridge parties and other activities. At one time the course boasted one of the finest clay tennis courts in the county. Fire destroyed the club house in 1970 and a new modern facility was constructed soon afterward.
In the early 1940's the corporation was reformed as Piscataquis Country Club. The old corporation was the Piscataquis Valley Country Club. Today the course is well kept and the course has seen a steady growth in membership and usage.
The generous contributions of the industries and of several individuals over the past 75 years made it possible to have the course we have now. I remember Don Osborne of Guilford Woolen giving the club a 1947 Ford N8 tractor. This tractor is still in use today. Gene Pride, Stanley Pride, & A. Ellis of Pride Golf Tee CO. were interested in the course, they provided annual maintenance of the water systems from the brook, built the practice putting green and the back #4 tee and other service over the years. The people at Hardwood Products Co, the Cartwright's & Templet's are always ready to help, the practice area belongs to Mrs. Joe Cartwright and gave the club the use of it.
As submitted by Tom Blake (Copyright @ 2005)
Piscataquis Country Club is a Non-Profit Corporation.